Monday, June 9, 2008

Hooray for Sweet Potatoes!

We ended up delaying real food for Ella a bit... at her 4 month check up the Dr. Vapne said we could start her on rice cereal so we tried and it was a disaster. She just wasn't ready for it yet. Well, now I'm starting to think she was ready for food- just not that nasty rice cereal. I made an executive decision to delay the food, partly because I didn't think she was ready and partly because of all the travelling we were doing there was no way we would be able to get her into any sort of routine. So when we returned from Orlando I tried the rice cereal again. Major trainwreck! It was all over the place because she just kept spitting it out she'd get her hands away from me and smear it all over her face and bib, anything to keep from swallowing it. But she was opening her mouth for the spoon so I knew she'd figured it out, it must just taste awful. Monday night we tried sweet potatoes... jackpot! We had figured out that she has a bit of a sweet tooth because she loves to suck the juice off of our fingers if we've been eating fruits. Boy did she go to town on those sweet potatoes! And hooray for her Daddy, who's so good at feeding her! She's a very neat eater, and he's so good about scraping the excess off of her face. And it's a great bonding time for them each night.
Since the realization that she likes "real people food" better than the rice goop we've given her applesauce and green beans too... both were sucessful! I think tonight we'll try a little butternut squash and see how that goes over.
I'm still putting the vitamins in her bottle once a day so the Dr. says she doesn't really need the rice cereal since she's geting iron from that, the only benefit it has is to fill her little tummy. I'm gonna try oatmeal I think and see if she likes that better.

No comments: