Sunday, April 6, 2008

Working Woman

Ahhhhh, back to the grindstone that is employment. Market is upon us again so I find myself immersed in the grand old world of the furniture industry yet again. Here I am sitting at the front desk of Fine Furniture Design & Marketing for the next seven days. How sad to leave Ella for 10 hours a day, how nice to have adult conversations while the sun is still up. But the best part is I get a paycheck at the end of the week!! Yippee!

The showroom looks fantastic, as usual and it seems that the buyers are very excited about the new product, so that's good. It's very cool to see and hear their first impressions of the front setting. So far so good. However, I do have some downtime between shooting people with my laser gun (well, it's not a laser exactly, but a scanner so all the information on the buyer's company is recorded into the computer) so I thought I'd share a funny story... Furniture is a bit of a "boys club" and I'm surrounded by men here. Okay, I can handle that. One problem, I'm still nursing Ella so I need to sneak away every three hours or so and "take care of some things" so that she will have food for the next day. As luck would have it there is one room in here that actually has a door on it. The wall doesn't go all the way up to the ceiling but there is a door... with a lock. So I've been sneaking up there and turning on the machine to take care of business, I don't know how many of you have experience with Medela pumps, but they are loud and it's a weird sound.

This afternoon I discovered that the lock on the door doesn't so much lock the door. Actually, the FFDM sales rep from TN found that out for himself. Like I said, the wall doesn't go all the way to the celing so you can hear the machine in the showroom and he wanted to check it out and make sure there wasn't something wrong. What did he find but me, hooked up the breast pump! I wish I had a picture of his face, boy he backed out of that room quickly, apologizing the whole way. hahahaha! I was covered so it was no big deal, but I don't think he stuck around long enough to realize that. Too funny. Later he came by my desk and apologized again, saying he heard the noise and never in a million years would have guessed that's what it was. I don't know anyone who would have, so I can't fault him for it. Thank goodness he has kids so I guess it made it easier for him and a little less awkward.

And no, before you ask I do not have pictures of this to post. :)

4 comments:

~Mrs. JMS~ said...

No pictures! Oh why not, that one would have been priceless. Glad to ahve found your blog since you arent on the nest much....we miss you and hope that we can gtg soon. Take care, and thanks for the comment on the bedding....man what a big step for me :)

Mollie Perez said...

OMg that is hilarious! Can't beleive he walked in on you! Poor thing. I know how you feel I was pumping this time last year when I worked market. It will make you appreciate being at home! it's fun to dress up and act professional for a few days though!

Christina Soto said...

AHHHH! Love it, Cameron! Too funny! Can't wait to see you gals!
Love,
Christina

Michelle said...

Been walked in on a few times working in an office where as much as I tried to hide it everyone knows what I'm doing. Why don't people knock before opening closed doors???? Or, if they start to open and feel the resistance of a chair pushed up against it (unfortunately, no locks) why do they just keep pushing!!!!